Thursday, November 27, 2008

Exhibition Theme: Mixed Messages


For First Nations 410, an advanced First Nations art course, I created this pipe. The theme of our exhibition was mixed messages. I decided to create a pipe with the word faith engraved on the handle. Our professor also required that we create a journal of our learning and the process of the project. At first I felt very overwhelmed because I had no experience in wood working. However, with the love, support and PATIENCE of my partner Dan, I was able to achieve my goal.


The pipe is made from driftwood from Pender Island. Dan and I went there for Spring Break. Finding the wood was an adventure it self, especially working with a pro-wood worker.
The bowl of the pipe is made from pine wood; the handle is made from Monkey’s wood (I am not sure if that is the actual name), and the mouth attachment is made from Oak wood. I engraved the word faith with a wood burner.
Dawn was also a part of my class, and she created a project as well.

No comments: